Dolls are our childhood companions. Over time, dolls can start to show their age. Their hair can become matted and tangled; their clothes can become worn and torn. But with some care, your vintage doll can be restored to its former glory.
What Is Vintage Doll Hair?
Vintage hair is often made of natural materials like wool or mohair. It can also be made of synthetic materials like nylon.
Things You Need To Fix Vintage Doll Hair
- A Soft Brush
- Mild Soap
- Some Household Cleaners
- Curling Irons
- Flat Irons
- A Hairdryer
- Low Heat Setting Hair Dryers
Fixing Vintage Doll Hair
Identify Your Vintage Doll First: Before trying to fix your doll’s hair, you need to identify what kind of doll you have. This will help you determine the best way to clean and style your hair.
Check The Material: The first step is to check the material of the hair.
- Is it made of natural materials like wool or mohair?
- Or is it made of synthetic materials like nylon?
If The Hair Is Made Of Natural Materials: You will need to be very careful when cleaning and styling it. Natural hair can be very delicate and easy to damage.
If The Hair Is Made Of Synthetic Materials: You will have a little more leeway in how you style it. Synthetic hair is less likely to be damaged by heat or chemicals.
Choose A Cleaning Method
Once you know what kind of material the hair is made of, you can choose a cleaning method.
You should avoid using harsh chemicals or detergents if the hair is made of natural materials. Instead, you can clean the hair with mild soap and water. Be sure to use a soft brush to avoid damaging the hair.
You can use various cleaning methods if the hair is made of synthetic materials. You can use shampoo, conditioner, and even some household cleaners. Just be sure to avoid any cleaners that contain harsh chemicals.
Style The Hair
Once the hair is clean, you can start to style it.
If The Hair Is Made Of Natural Materials: You should avoid using any heat-styling tools. Heat can damage natural hair very quickly. Instead, you can try using some old-fashioned styling techniques like setting the hair in curlers overnight.
If The Hair Is Made Of Synthetic Materials: You can use a variety of styling tools. You can use curling irons, flat irons, and even hair dryers. Be sure to use a low heat setting to avoid damaging the hair.
Note: With a little care, you can restore your vintage doll’s hair to its glory. Just be sure to consider the type of hair and the best way to style it. You can make your beauty look new again with a little effort.
Is It Worth The Hassle Of Untangling A Doll’s Hair?
It depends on the doll’s value to you. If it’s a family heirloom or has sentimental value, it might be worth taking the time to untangle and reroot the hair carefully. Otherwise, you might consider giving the doll a “haircut” or simply leaving the hair as-is.
What About Untangling Synthetic Doll Hair?
Synthetic doll hair is less likely to tangle than human hair, but it can still happen. If the knots are minor, you might be able to untangle them with your fingers carefully. If the knots are more severe, you can try using a wide-tooth comb or gently brushing the hair with a boar bristle.
How To Fix Vintage Doll Hair That Smells Bad?
If your vintage doll’s hair smells bad, there are a few things you can do to try and fix the problem.
- Wash hair gently with mild soap and water. Be sure to use a soft brush to avoid damaging the hair.
- Use a mild shampoo for smelly hair.
- If the odor persists, you can try using fabric freshener or essential oils.
- Test the product on a small section of hair first to make sure it doesn’t damage the hair.
What Is The Best Way To Store A Vintage Doll?
- The best way to store a vintage doll is in a clean, dry, and dust-free environment.
- You should also avoid storing the doll in direct sunlight or an area with high humidity.
- If you must store the doll in an attic or basement, be sure to wrap the beauty in acid-free tissue paper to protect it from the environment.
- Finally, if you plan on displaying the doll, be sure to use a support that will not damage the doll’s hair or clothing.